Snarky Stories and More:

Snarky Stories and More:

Monday, April 30, 2007

Not Just For Nabakov Anymore!


On Sunday on the fateful convention, I participated in a Lolita Tea Party. I was dressed up and given tea and cookies and cake by very nice women. I also was sung Happy Birthday for the third time that day, it was quite an experience. I wandered away with a box of cookies and some bags of tea.

What exactly is a lolita tea party, you may be asking. It is a tea party hosted and attended by those who ascribe to a fashion that began in Japan. The lolita fashion. I'm dolled up in a common example of EGL - Elegant Gothic Lolita. The fashion revolves around clothing inspired by Victorian children's clothing. It's incredibly complex, and very easy to get wrong. There are rules. These rules must be obeyed, or dozens of women online will try and rape your soul. I've seen it. It isn't pretty.

As I said, there are rules. And it's very easy to screw up and make a fool of yourself in front of the real lolitas.

As my lifestyle lolita friend told me in explicit detail. I may not be able to tell you what is lolita, but I can tell you what isn't! Oh, can I tell you what isn't.... even beyond the basic 'anything bought at Hot Topic'.

It's an interesting fashion, and I actually find myself enamored of it. So much so that I own a skirt and headdress from Japanese brand retailers. Basically, insanely expensive clothes from Japan. I got good deals on them, though.

There's a part of my brain that is still screaming 'twenty-mumble year old women do not dress up like small Victorian girls!'. But it's drowned out by the rest of my brain that retorts with simple: 'STFU, I look good.'

1 comment:

mad-ame said...

the pic is too cute!!!