Snarky Stories and More:

Snarky Stories and More:

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Who Doesn't Love a Tiny Girl With A Giant Gun Arm?

Sunday is the best day to hit the dealer's room at any convention. And I saved most of my money for a final run, a half hour before the doors closed, in order to snag those last minute deals.

And deals I snagged! Along with two Bome LE figures for ten bucks each, I found myself walking away with the boxed set of an anime called Saikano for only 50$. Original sale price? 140$. Regardless of the quality of the anime, at the very least I could turn around and resell it if it sucked.

The plot seemed pretty straight forward. A tiny, shy, clumsy high school student becomes the Ultimate Weapon. Nothing too new or exciting there, I've seen plenty of other anime with a similar plot. And generally? I find them dull and boring. Maybe that's why it took me so long to pop Saikano into the DVD player. Whatever the reason, I'm sorry I waited.

Saikano is not your average anime. I've seen a lot of anime where horrible burdens are thrust upon immature high school girls, but never have I seen one that handled it so well. Chise doesn't slip into her role with ease and joy. She isn't able to balance her saving the world life with her home and school life. She isn't accepted by her friends and boyfriend. She's a miserable mess who wants to die, her boyfriend is terrified of her, and she drops out of school because she can't handle the pressure.

It's a refreshing change from the norm. Forget Sailor Moon, Saikano is where it's at.

This is not a happy anime. It is depressing and painful and brutal. The gritty realism is unlike anything I've ever seen. These characters are real, they're well rounded, and all of them are flawed. I was sucked into this series from the very first episode, and I highly recommend it.

Next on my list to watch is His and Hers Circumstances.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time I saw SaiKano. It was my boyfriend, who got me into anime and manga, who said the summary sounded "interesting". Since it was before bittorrent we mainly went by the rates on Animenfo.com. I must say besides the ending of Berserk SaiKano is the most depressing anime I've ever seen. I have a love hate relationship with the series. I love how great and refreshing it is. I hate how depressed I feel when I watch it. I love the music, I have the OST and all of the songs, and yet when I listen to Sayonara I can't help, but cry. While I can't consider it "the best", it remains a favorite.

NC said...

I never saw this one, I will check it out, thanks.....I wonder is it anything like gunslinger girl?