Snarky Stories and More:

Snarky Stories and More:

Sunday, February 4, 2007

I'm A Bad Lesbian

I've been out as a lesbian for about five years now and I still don't understand 'gay culture'. I've tried. I've tried my little dyke heart out. But I still find myself bewildered and distraught.

I've never been much for gay pride. I don't go to Gay Pride Parades. The same way I don't go to Blue Eyed Pride Parades, or Born In April Pride Parades or Tall Pride Parades or any other Insignificant Detail About Me Pride Parades. My lesbianism just doesn't have enough impact on my life to have any cultural influence on me. All it means is I find chicks hot. This isn't anything remarkable to me. This isn't anything entirely special, it just gives me something to ramble on about in here. I don't live my life a certain way because I'm a lesbian. I don't dress or act differently just because I'm a lesbian. Lesbianism is one small facet of the things that make up me.

But it's automatically assumed that because I am a lesbian, I am a part of 'gay culture'. As far as I can tell, this means I need to do lots of drugs and have regular orgies. Well, I take a lot of prescription medication and I have indeed spent a good deal of time in the company of seven other people not wearing shoes. But I don't think that quite counts.

I remember I was chatting with some girl once, and it came up that I was a lesbian. She got all wide eyed and exclaimed 'Oh! You're gay!'. Much in the same way teenage girls exclaim 'Oh! You have a puppy!'. It was mildly disturbing. And then she shocked me by telling me 'I bet you have lots of wild sex and do all kinds of cool drugs!'.

I was rather floored. It took me a few moments to gather myself together and form a response. I told her that I drank blhang tea for my seizures and I did just last week have a rather nice threesome with my vibrator and a bootleg copy of Naughty Nurses 3.

I think I disappointed her.

I just don't understand putting so much of oneself into a sexuality. I don't particularly want to be known as just 'the lesbian'. I don't like being judged or measured based on one aspect of myself. And I can't understand anyone else wanting it, either. Call me 'that writer lesbian' or 'that lesbian who makes all those costumes'. Define me by what I do, not what I am or who's fun bits I like.

Other lesbians always try to get me more involved. Dinners, parades, special events... if we want so badly to be treated just like everyone else, why don't we stop separating ourselves from everyone else? Gay bars, sure! Gay nigthclubs? Definitely. Gay book clubs? Alright, I can kind of see it. Gay picnics? Gay bakeries? Gay grocery stores? Gay art shows? gay neighborhoods? Now we're being ridiculous.

And I know the arguments. "We don't want to deal with prejudice!" "We want safe places!". Alright, I get that. I have my safe places, and I need them. But we can't shut ourselves off from the world. We can't keep up this self-segregation and expect society to become used to us and stop thinking of us as different. Because we make ourselves different. This goes beyond having a safe place or a place to go to meet like minded people. This is going into self made leper colonies. Are we lepers? No. So why do we act like them?

I know my views aren't popular. I know that they're why I'm no longer allowed to hang out with certain 'cool gay people'. But I don't much care. I don't see them as gay people, I see them as jerks who can't deal with a differing opinion. And I don't want to keep that kind of company anyway.

I've given up on trying to understand gay culture. Otaku culture is bad enough, and I made the choice to throw my lot in there.

I'll just keep on being a bad lesbian. It works for me.

And the Naughty Nurses don't seem to mind.

9 comments:

Trish Ess said...

LMAO

Seeing as though I'm not a lesbian, bad or otherwise, I can only relate in the regard that I've always been jealous that we don't have a Straight/Breeder (LOL) Pride Day complete with half-naked people dancing everywhere and wicked parties. Hrm.. maybe that's where the gay community gets it's reputation.

I do agree with you about the self-segregation. I've always been the "I really don't give a damn what you do in your bedroom unless it involves me" kinda person, but I do love attitude in a person. Most of the time, the attitude I'm attracted to belongs to a gay person, so I've no choice but to accept the names (I'm such a fag-hag, apparently), the crushes (I'd do one of my friends in a second if she'd only grow a penis), and all that goes with being one of the people that doesn't see a line between gay and straight.. unless it's this one: / :)

People rawk 'cause they're people. You're funny 'cause you're funny.

But if there's ever a Green-Eyed Day Parade - I'm SO there. :D

Faye said...

We should just have a People Pride Parade. You can march in favor of whatever the hell you want. Everybody getting as naked as they want and going buck wild in celebration of humanity....

We can call it Mardis Gras.

Sadly, the gay community's reputation for drugs and loose sex isn't unwarranted. There are as many gay people who buy into the idea that they need to act a certain way as there are straight people who believe it.

People are people... stop me now before I burst into song! :D

Trish Ess said...

OMFingHigherBeing YES!! Mardi Gras! I'll bring the beads. :)

True enough. Uniquely Stereotypical. Doesn't quite fly, does it? :)

LOL - Nuthin' wrong with a sing-a-long! WAIT.. it's not gonna be showtunes, is it!? Or is that only the gay males...? ~snicker~ :P

choochoo said...

LOL - well, if it makes you feel any better, I've been openly straight for ages and I have no clue as to how straight culture works. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that everyone else is nuts:)

David Odeen said...

Well then, there must be really something wrong with you... kidding!!!

Unknown said...

Very interesting and well written post. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Hey there....I just came across your blog via Trish at In-coherentish (<---lol that rhymes!)....great blog you have here....I will be back!!

Awesome post for today....great topic and well written....I couldn't agree with you more. If people in general spent less time looking in other people's back-yards and business....the world would be a much better place!!

Take care.......

Barb

Kidney Girl said...

As much as I try not to generalize people, when I think of lesbians I see caring relationships and to be honest, nothing really spectacular comes to mind. When I think about gay men I think about is lots of anonymous sex and sometimes multiple partners in one evening like they don’t have another care in the world. Meth is up there too but common sense tells me the majority of gay men aren’t into that, though the media will tell another story.

My perceived stereotype for men is based on the fact that men often have a higher sex drive than women and when you get testosterone-filled men who are into other men, well then it’s game on, where as a married man and a woman usually find a middle ground and single straight men like to sleep with as many women as possible.

I don’t have anything against pride parties if they are done in a positive manner. There’s a fine line between parading for a good cause or to get word out and those woe is (are?) us parades where the motto is: “We are a minority group who’s stifled by all of you onlookers.” This is a huge problem with African American culture as well. There are underprivileged and/or permanently pissed-off black people who refuse to blend in with the rest of America because they still feel they are owed something after all these years, as if anyone living today owned slaves in their lifetime. In most cases, if people would just shut up and try to live together as one happy community of differences then maybe this group or that group wouldn’t be gawked at, hand-held or otherwise treated any differently, not that there shouldn’t be little safe havens. In my opinion, a gay club isn’t much different than an orchestral society – it’s all about commonality and similar interests. I don’t mean to make light at all, but that’s how I see it.

I don’t think you’re bad. :) I think you’re grounded, mature and just comfortable with yourself!

Tammy

P.S. I love the name of your blog! Great alliteration. :P

Anonymous said...

here from trish's place. she always find the best blogging buddies.

I really enjoyed this post, becaue I fully agree with it. I'm not a lesbian either, but there are times when many other groups of people have done this.

I'll be back, looking forward to learning more about you.