Snarky Stories and More:

Snarky Stories and More:

Saturday, February 10, 2007

On Words....

One of my favorite sites is back online.

The Phrontistery. This is a site dedicated to the English language in all of its glory. As you can imagine, it is a much underrated website. Americans? Caring about the language? Absurd! What is this world coming to, when the uneducated youth of our fine country goes out of their way to expand their minds!

Luckily, I doubt any of America's bright young examples of ineptitude are reading this blog. If they are, I pity them. And offer them a dictionary and a quick course in reading comprehension.

While this hallowed hall of wordsmithing is up and about, I offer you a word of the day. Just a bit of long forgotten knowledge that may bring a smile to your face or a new wrinkle to your brain. We can all stand to learn a little something new, after all.

Today's word is: murklins. Murklins: An adjective that fell out of use around 1675, meaning 'in the dark'. What a fun little word, murklins. Fun to say, fun to read! It brings to mind small, furry, under-earth dwelling creatures, doesn't it? The murklins, a fabled race of tunnel dwellers! Tell your children of the long forgotten murklins and their vast underground cities! Remember the time when mankind clothed himself in murklin skin! (And now you know why they're not around anymore. Poor little fictional buggers were hunted to extinction.)

I can see much potential for this little bit of lost English.

3 comments:

Trish Ess said...

I love lost words, too!! Will you be posting the link, or are you going to make us go hunting for it ourselves? :)

lecanis said...

It sounds like a very interesting site to me! I just love words! I used to be one of those kids that read dictionaries in their free time. =)

I bet you I'm going to catch myself using "murklins" in conversation now, and people are going to be like "What?"

Faye said...

Yay! I shall continue to post them, then! And also a link to the website!

Murklins should most certainly make a comeback!