Snarky Stories and More:

Snarky Stories and More:

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

When Did We Fall So Far?

So many times I find myself with words and ideas in my head, all jostling and straining to burst forth - only to realize everything I want to say has been said before, and far better than I ever could.

Sometimes, though, I just wonder what the hell is wrong with the world. There's a pointless war going on, there 's genocide in foreign countries, America is on the brink of an economic disaster, and all that's on the news are stories about celebrities going out without panties on and who's lost or gained weight. And I use the term 'celebrity' loosely. When did the term celebrity come to mean 'whiny spoiled rich brats who are promiscuous'? Because it seems that's all that's out there these days.

I hate the news. I can't watch it without grinding my teeth and yelling, because it's not news. It's pandering to some media-brainwashed mass. I hate discussing politics because that's just as depressing. And somewhere along the line, 'talking about politics' became 'making lame Bush jokes' or 'rabidly defending Bush no matter what's said'. Bush and dumb starlets, that's all that's out there these days. And it's hard to be funny about all this. It's damn hard. Better people than me have tried and failed.

I just don't know anymore. Lost in the sea of stupidity that has become America's reporting media, I find myself clinging to but one clear thought:

I miss Marylin Monroe.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If it makes you feel better, America is in no way even remotely close to economic ruin. In fact the economy is flying high right now higher than it ever has.

Trish Ess said...

I don't watch the news. I only read the comics in the newspaper. Unless I'm in the check-out line at the grocery store. I just can't resist a headline like "Hermaphrodite Alien Impregnates Self"...

It's a sad state of affairs when the media gets all hyped up about a "good deed" someone has done. Piece of fluff news bits designed to make the world feel better about themselves... "Look! After all is said and done.. after we've blown up everything we could possibly blow up.. after we've created as much strain as possible between nations - Little Johnny still knows how to raise $83 for homeless cats! Is there anything as spiffy as the human race?!" Puh-leeeeeze.

I'm not political - although I did think of starting my own political party. Maybe I'll blog about it one day. I'd be great at running the country. Country in debt? Print more money! Pay it off in small, unmarked bills! Jails overcrowded? Let's make 'em all astronauts and ship 'em off into space. See? For every problem, there's a solution. ;)

Faye said...

Mars can become the new Australia. It'd go over great. :D

okla.badboy said...

RE: "When Did We Fall So Far?"

I have to agree :)