Snarky Stories and More:

Snarky Stories and More:

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Political Correctness And You!

Today's word is: sevidical. Another adjective, meaning: speaking cruel and harsh words; threatening.

Today's word relates to my post topic for the day! Political Correctness. It's everywhere. We have it shoved down our throats every day. What we can say, what we can't say, what harmless word is now considered taboo. I don't even know what it's okay to call myself these days. Or if I can call myself whatever I want. Or what the rules are for who can call who what.

I'm fed up with the whole thing. And I have my hangups about it - my friends can call me a gimpy dyke all they want, but if someone I don't uses those words, I lose my shit. Why? They're the same words. Is it a comfort level thing? Is it a safety net? These words are all well and good when in a controlled environment, but letting them just run about loose? Words need to stay in their cages, where they belong. Apparently.

It's a constant shifting flow, and I'll admit that I've given up being able to keep track of it. I wonder sometimes, who gets to decide what's PC and what's not. Is there a PC committee? How does one get on it? Where do you apply? What are the qualifications? What brilliant minds came up with 'handicapable'?

I don't deny that words have power. I know all too well the power of words. But where do they get that power? Who instills it in them? Oh, the shiny happy answer is 'we all do!', but that's bullshit. We are not a united people, we never will be. And the whole PC craze? Not helping.

I don't know much when it comes to this tangled web of words and intents. I really don't. But what I do know is that assholes are assholes, no matter what they say.

Words don't make people assholes, assholish tendencies make people assholes.

6 comments:

Trish Ess said...

You know my blog well enough to know my opinion on the whole PC thing. :) My mouth gets me into trouble sometimes. But that's not going to stop me from being who I am and saying what I need to say. People need to learn that unless I'm pointing my finger at them while using certain terms not to take it so damned personally.

apositivepessimist said...

The list of words that one can "use" is getting somewhat skinny huh.

Yes, we all do give the words the power, simply by being offended by them. If I'm not offended the word no longer has "power".

choochoo said...

I guess they come from fear of being labeled, wether you're on the receiving end of the words or if you're the ones saying them. I dunno. With friends you can say all sorts of things that you "can't" say with ppl you don't know that well, because they know what sort of a person you really are, regardless of what you say.

Nate James said...

when it comes to being PC is really is a comfort level thing. and all/most word usage depends on the context of what's being said, when a word or wording is appropriate...

but what do i know? im just a honkie...

chancer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chancer said...

I think the problem was that the old words were just getting, well, old.

Politically correctness wiped the canvas* creating some room for a whole new set of words and hopefully some of them will be real offensive.



*It is not possible to wipe a canvas. I tried once - it just makes a horrible mess. You can paint over a canvas but then someone can x-ray it 500 years later. The best thing to do with a canvas is burn it.


Gerald
http://flanerie.org